- Net sales for the fourth quarter 2016 were €173 million, an increase of 20% compared to the previous quarter. Year-on-year net sales increased with 19%.
- New orders at €177 million were 44% above the Q3 2016 level.
- Normalized net earnings for the fourth quarter 2016 increased by €29 million compared to the third quarter 2016. Operating result increased to €30 million. The financing result included €19 million positive effects from currencies compared to €3 million negative effects in the third quarter. The result from investments decreased with €8 million.
Commenting on the results, Chuck del Prado, President and Chief Executive Officer of ASM International said: "The strong overall market climate for semiconductor equipment towards the end of 2016 led to better sales and a higher order intake for Q4 than forecasted. The net cash position of ASMI remained strong. In addition to a stable proposed dividend of €0.70 per share, we announce today an increase in our current share buyback program from € 50 million to €100 million."
- Demand in the Logic/Foundry segment is expected to remain healthy.
- We believe the 3D-NAND contribution to the single wafer ALD market will show a strong increase in 2017, leading to increased orders for ASMI.
- The DRAM segment is expected to show a modest recovery in 2017.
We expect that the single wafer ALD market experienced a double digit decline in 2016. Based upon that we forecast the single wafer ALD market to reach a size of approx. US$1.5 billion in 2020-2021.
We project a year-on-year sales increase for the first half of 2017, whereby we expect a sales level of €135-145 million for Q1 and €160-200 million for Q2, both on a currency comparable level. The order intake in Q1 is expected to remain healthy at a level of €170-190 million, also on a currency comparable level.